Summer is such a beautiful time of year; the days are longer, the sun is out, and there always seems to be more to do. It’s an energetic and lovely season, and I love all the inspiration that comes with it. Along with all the joy and heat of summer, however, their can also be a lot of negativity–especially surrounding body image.
While this negative exists, there is also a big movement going around focused on self-love and being body-positive. It is a strong, inclusive movement that I love to see continue to pop up in counter to the magazine articles and pop culture body shaming that has become too common. This is the movement to focus on. One to fill up your social media feed with, and a great reminder that there is beauty in everyone.
This summer, as I have been all year, I’m trying to bring more focus and attention on these voices of self-love and positivity. Summer has always been triggering for me in terms of feeling uncomfortable in my skin, and I think it is probably true in most people. I have been reading a few books to help bring me back to focus, and am learning new ways to amp up the self-care, even when the negative voice (aka mean girl) in my head tries to keep me stuck in fear. Just this past month, I realized I developed a whole reading list dedicated to self-love. I’m sharing this list in case you want to join me in what has become the “Summer of Self-Love.”
Summer of Self-Love Reading List
- Mastering Your Mean Girl by Melissa Ambrosini
- Aim True by Kathryn Budig, who is one of my favorite yoga personalities to follow. She is beautiful and powerful and honest and I am loving her book where her authenticity continues to shine through. I also love that it includes yoga sequences and recipes.
- Find Your Happy Daily Mantras by Shannon Kaiser– this is a daily mantra book that I have really been loving. It is a great way to start the day on a positive note
- Adventures for Your Soul by Shannon Kaiser–I have just ordered this book so I haven’t read it yet, but I was inspired to order it after watching this video by Marissa Lace.
- The Soul Searcher’s Handbook by Emma Mildon–I’m excited to dive into this book as I’m becoming more interested in aromatherapy and alternative ways to connect mind-body-and spirit
- Instant Happy Journal– so this one isn’t actually book, it’s a journal with writing prompts centered-around happiness.
- Let it Out by Katie Dalebout- speaking of journaling, if you feel stuck in you journaling process, or just are looking for some tools to help you dig deeper to understand yourself, this is a great book. It’s filled with tools to help inspire the journaling process, and help you tap into your authenticity. It’s so good.
What are you reading this summer? I’d love to hear in the comments below!